Many situations that call for head protection also call for a flashlight. Since you’re wearing a hard hat already, why not add a headlamp? Most headlamps have fabric straps that slip off plastic, so a rubber strap is necessary. Streamlight makes one such model, but it retails for $30. I built my own version for around $10 (plus hard hat). Click on any image for full-sized version.
- Hard hat – Arlington CERT uses the Omega II, but this should work on any model
- Headlamp – I bought this 9-LED, 3-AAA model from American Science & Surplus, but DealExtreme has a wide choice of models (and free shipping)
- Rubber strap
- Small Phillips screwdriver
1. Cut the straps from the headlamp mounting bracket and discard. Be careful not to snap off any of the plastic like I did.
2. Thread the rubber strap through the bracket and secure with one buckle. Using only one buckle increases the pressure on the strap and keeps it secure. Keep it off-center so the light can pivot freely.